Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Thank you to Drew Startup!!

Sunday before church the choir was all behind the stage where we meet. Frank asked Drew to pray for us. One of the things he prayed was that each one of us would get an opportunity to talk to someone about Jesus this week. I think most of the choir members were in agreement with his prayer. I was. Even though the prospect of a witnessing conversation strikes fear in me (and most I would say).
Fast forward 24 hours to Monday around lunch, I had a customer that I have known for years come in to get copies and mail a package. She is a book editor. She was making a comment about the book she was editing for a lady that is here local. My customer said, "she is one of those crazy evangelicals....oh, I hope you are not". She looked at me to see if she had offended me, and it struck me that she has known me for 7 or 8 years and has no idea if I am a Christian or not! (Painful!) Anyway, I told her yes maam I am. When she started apologizing profusely, I told her that she had not and could not offend me because I was comfortable with everything I believe! She proceeded to explain that the lady writing the book speaks in tongues and heals and .... She asked if I believed in "all that"?!! Too funny!
Thank you to Drew for the prayer! And thank you GOD for the opportunity, BUT...couldn't it have been a easier question??
The gifts of the Spirit are things that we have discussed recently in Bible Study with our study of Acts. I won't bore you with the whole conversation, but I will share with you two highlights. I was as honest as I could possibly be with my opinions and why this topic in particular is so "touchy" within the Baptist faith and I was very honest in with the information I gave her. I also tried VERY hard to distiguish between the things I KNOW as FACT and the things I hold as opinions! Second, she is Jewish. I knew that and every time I mentioned the name Jesus, she physically became uncomfortable. It was obvious. Anyway, she said that she believed Jesus was a great prophet. I told her my opinion on that subject as well.
Either Jesus IS the Messiah, born to be the perfect Sacrifice and save the world, OR he is a bold face LIAR. There can't be any in between, because He said that He IS THE WAY to God, so either He is, or he lies. She was taken aback with this statement and will be thinking about it for a while I think.
She left saying that she needs to ask for some of these "gifts of the Spirit". I explained that she would probably want to ask Jesus into her heart BEFORE she asked for the gifts of the Spirit. She grinned at me and left.
Who knows?... Very interesting conversation, so once again thanks to Drew for praying that! and to God for answering!
C

1 comment:

Tess said...

That is soooo AWESOME!