Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Can your iron swim??

Doug turned me on to a devotion book called "Morning and Evening" by Charles Spurgeon. I started it at the beginning of this month, but am trying to "catch up" since it is a year long by dates. So I am doing a couple a night until I "catch up". So far it has been amazing. I will be perfectly honest and tell you that I have NEVER had a regular devotion time with God until this year. Pretty sad, to be honest, but as with all things in God, totally rectifyable (if that is a word!).
Anyway last night, was an incredible time and two of the devotion completely struck me as stuff that I am going through (and some others). I wanted to share them:
1st - 2 Kings 6:5-6 NIV - But as one of them was cutting a tree, his ax head fell into the river. Oh sir, he cried. It was a borrowed ax. Where did it fall asked Elisha. When he showed him the place, Elisha cut a stick and threw it into the water at that spot. Then the ax head floated to the surface.
Iron can't float. Period. Right?
Can our God still perform miracles? Can our God still fix broken things? Can our God still calm the sea? Can a piece of iron STILL float???
I BELIEVE IT!!
What about you?
You hear of a marriage heading for divorse, when God changes things and the iron floats...
You hear of an alcoholic or drug addict that can't get away and God changes things and the iron floats...
What about someone that you have prayed for, with no results, then God changes things, and the iron floats.
What is your iron?
Do you BELIEVE it can float?
If Elisha threw a stick in the Jordan and cause iron to float, and if Jesus called inside the tomb and told Lazarus to come out, WHAT CAN'T GOD DO?
He can't get us through a tough economy? Please.
He can't heal? Please, he woke the dead!
He can't save the person you are praying for? Please, he saved a thief while he was dying on the Cross!!
He can't take away an addiction? Please, come ask, I'll prove him on that!!
Joke: A bar opens up near a church. The church members start to pray that God would cast away this evil near their campus. A few months later the bar has to close due to lack of business. The bar owner sues the church claiming God had caused his business to die. The church claimed that was absurd and the judge should award nothing to the bar owner. The judge spoke saying, let me get this straight, I have a bar owner who believes in the power of prayer but an entire church congregation that doesn't?
I BELIEVE!!
2nd - 2 Samuel 7:25 NIV And now, O Lord God, I am your servant; do as you have promised concerning me and my family. Confirm it as a promise that will last forever.
What has God promised you?
According to Mr. Spurgeon in Morn & Even God delights in us reminding Him of His promises. Of course, not that he forgets, but more over that we show ourselves desparate for Him. His presence, His healing, His help, His grace, His mercy. God doesn't get tired of us coming to Him!! Precisely the opposite, He delights in it!!
I needed to hear that, and I hope someone out there in "readerville" did too!!

No comments: