Monday, March 2, 2009

Monday it is

I must say that there was some disappointment at the house yesterday afternoon and this morning that the weather didn't get bad enough for a snow day!! The kids were not happy either!! Too bad!! Another near miss....
We had a great day yesterday!! Don't you just love Sundays? God has built something deep inside of us that Sunday is his day and therefore the best day of the week!! Don't believe me? Look around at your friends that don't go to church. They try to get all their "honey-do" list finished on Saturday so that Sunday they can play. Even non-church going people love Sunday. Whether it be sleeping late, or watching sports, or doing something special with their children. Sunday's are just awesome!! If you are part of a church family, it is even more amazing!! This Sunday I was in desperate need of a recharging!! To worship with my family. To hear from God through a friend's voice. To sing. To listen. I WANTED to be with my church family!!
In Bible study, we started the day with a pop quiz!! Anyone with a failing grade had to take their paper home to be signed by their children. Joking!!!! Shep wanted to get information from the class as to where we are in our walk, so he could know which direction we need to go as a class. It will be interesting to see what direction God sends our class through him. Anyway, during the pop quiz, I made a joke that "this quiz wasn't fun anymore" because the questions were convicting and a tough introspection!! That got Shep going on "the joy of the Lord is my strength", because he and Andrea had a tough week. (Which I could relate to!!) Their words were tough to hear that they felt the joy of the Lord was a million miles away. We had some very good discussion on the subject of joy, how it relates to happiness, and so on...
The just moments later, in worship, one of the first songs we sang was: I stand and lift up my hands, for the joy of the Lord is my strength!!
Too funny!! Ok God, you have this hard headed stubborn boy's attention! Speak away!! It was an INCREDIBLE worship service!!
After lunch, my grandfather calls to check on me. I havn't been to see him in a month and need to get by there!! But we talked for a few minutes, and he was asking about my tests and I told him everything. He gives me that calm, reassuring voice (that only he can do) and says, well you need to be concerned, but don't worry. Too funny!! Be concerned to action, and taking care of myself physically, but don't worry!! I'm telling you that God took every opportunity to tell me yesterday that He is in control.
I need to let go.
Thank you God for an awesome day of "recharging" and for speaking to me clearly enough to get through my thick head!!
************************
I love to cook. It is one of my joys. I love everything about it. I love the planning, the preparation, the actual cooking, the presentation, and the serving!! I like the look on my family's faces when they are sitting at our table and eating something that could be served at a fine restaurant!! (I probably missed my calling in not being a chef!!) Yesterday afternoon I broke out the cookbooks!! (That makes Donna nervous!! I love it!!)
I used a couple of Emeril's recipes yesterday!!
Pecan crusted chicken
Augratin Potatos
Steamed broccoli
Home grown purple hull peas
Home made biscuits

As all of that was cooking, I was also working on dessert!! I made a pound cake. mmmmm!!
But I wanted to do something special, so I found from Emeril an easy, easy, easy recipe that I thought to the eater would look diffucult!! I made pralines!! mmmmm. When Donna walked into the kitchen and saw those, you would have thought I handed her a million dollars!! She freaked out. Hugging and kissing and interupting my cooking!! LOL. She must like pralines!! Anyway, for desert I had put some plates in the freezer for an hour or two, and served a small slice of pound cake, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a praline standing up in the ice cream. Oh my!! My baby loved it, which of course made the entire effort worth every minute!!

What an incredible day!!

1 comment:

Steph said...

Craig,

The first song with the discussion in Sunday School wasn't lost on me either. I really need to hear that also.

Steph